The square was name "The Camejo Plaza" because
its location next to Agustín Camejo's mansion.
At present, it is known under the name "Hanoi" the
heroic capital of Vietnam, as a homage of the local people
to the brave people of Vietnam.
Colonia Espanola Building
formerly belonged to the Society of Instruction and Recess
founded specially to increase cultural platform of the Spanish
wealthy gentlemen in the colonial days, and to which only
white people were allowed to enter. It constitutes along with the Major Church, a paramaount architectural
jewel of the city. In the early years of the Revolution, it
was converted into a place for entertainment of the former
"Bernardo Arias Castillo" Social Labor Union.
mammoth household of earlier 19th century. However, it looks
like a classical 18th century building.
Since early last century, the house serves as modest hotel
Conrado Benitez Cinema
in 1920 in an eclectic style, was initially a remarkably theater,
but as the city became more and more populated, it was transformed
into a cinema.
It is across Serafín Sánchez Park, in the heart
of the city.
Cultural Heritage Center
a 16th -century building that has underwent several restorations
in its interior and exterior facades, and the enormous backyard.
It was the former house of a local Spanish top officer. Today
it is the headquarters of a group of researchers in charge
of the study on the historical-social wealth of the city.
Nuestra Senora de la Caridad Curch
in 1717, the church was the center of the northern wing of
the city. It was there where Serafín Sánchez,
a local heroe was baptized.
Julio Antonio Mella Primary School
Institute of Second Teaching, where many local patriots studied
and dissented the ruling Spanish Crown. It was then the headquarters of the revolutionary organization
"13 of March", during the last struggle to topple
Fulgencio Batista's dictatorship, a pro-American government.
Jose Marti University
building laid out during the 1940s. It was a catholic school
until 1959, when it was converted into Jose Marti Middle School
by the revolutionary government.
At present, it's one of the local universities in the city
of Sancti Spiritus.
Jose Antonio Huelga Stadium
outdoor ballpark was the dream of everyone and his brother
in the city until 1992, when the sport facility opened its
doors under the name "José Antonio Huelga",
homegrown right-hander considered one of the Cuban greatest
baseball players of all times.
quintessential cobbled street of a colonial city.
It is popularly known as LLano, although its current name
is Calle Antonio Rodríguez.This 100-meter-long street
is lined with quaint houses, wrought-iron balconies, hanging
lanterns and wooden rejas
Meson de la Plaza
(The Tavern of
18th century building.
It was the former house of a Spanish tycoon in a bustling
square near the major church. In 1980, it became a tavern,
and now is a facility run by Palmares Recreational Group
Mural de la Juventud
(Mural of Youth)
stone-and-brick painting on a wall on a bustling avenue.
It's the work by one of the most important young creators
of the city, Julio Neira. It was dedicated to the progressive
youth movements gathered in Cuba during the 14th World Festival
of Youth and Students. It represents the big beret of the
revolutionary icon Ernesto Che Guevara.
Museo de Ciencias Naturales
Máximo Gómez #2 Sur
Museum of Coloinial Art
Plácido No. 74,
e/. Guairo y Pancho Jiménez
Built in 1750, south of the Major Church.
It was a property of one the richest family in Cuba, "Valles Iznaga". The mansion has a hundred of colossal colonial doors. In 1967, it was opened as the Museum of Colonial Art of Sancti Spiritus.
Museo Provincial Polivalente
Céspedes No. 11 Sur
Museo Casa Natal Sefarin Sanchez
e/ Sobral y San Cristóbal
It was built from 1810 -1820. It was the residence of the Sanchez Valdivia family. Today is a museum dedicated to the patriot-hero Serafin Sanchez Valdivia.
south of the colonial core of the city.
It changed its name "Plaza de Jesus" (Jesus Square)
by "Honorato Park" in 1911. In this square, the
Spanish Crown publicly hanged its foes. After that, the place
converted a huge market for local vendors during the colonial
Plaza Nuestra Senora de la Caridad
to Nuestra Señora de la Caridad Church (The Church
of Our Patron Saint Virgen de la Caridad del Cobre) is a park
famed by its trade and social significance a long time ago.
Since 1911, it's known as "Maceo Park" for Antonio
Maceo, a Cuban heroe of the War of Independence.
Plaza San Francisco
the center of the recreational, commercial and cultural life
of the city.
It is surrounded by many neoclassical buildings, most of them
museums and the impressive library. The park today is named
for Serafin Sanchez, a homegrown general in the War for Independence.
is the city's main indoor sports complex since the 1991 Pan-American
Games.At present, the facility is venue for important national
and international tournaments
Jesús Menéndez y 26 de Julio
Built of cut stone in medieval style, the bridge was always a dream for the local residents in 18th century. But it was in 1817, when it was finally laid out. The bridge, considered the most distinctive symbol of the city, is also the only colonial stone bridge still extant in Cuba.
Quinta de Santa Elena
neoclassical mansion on one the banks of the Yayabo River.
It was built by a well-to-do Andalusian for leisure. In actuality,
it is a restaurant with international and traditional food
run by "Rumbos" recreational group.
Ruben Martinez Villena Library
old building owned by the former Progress Society.
Its lasted two years from 1927-29. When the Revolution took
over the country, the huge two-story building was no longer
a club for the local well-to-do class only, but for all Cubans
said that the local inhabitants volunteered to bear the wood
and other heavy materials for the building's roof throughout
13 miles. Its construction lasted 11 months. On July 15, 1839,
it opened its doors to public, becoming a resplendent hall
for the artistic events of the time.
Hospital Camilo Cienfuegos
on July 27, 1986, with the most state-of-art medical technology
of that time, the center provides free health service for
Right at its entrance there is stone image of revolutionary
icon Camilo Cienfuegos, an important commander of the Revolution,
along with Ernesto Guevara and Fidel Castro.